Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Life is Better When You're Laughing

Several years ago my father passed away.  Like most people who lose a loved one, life becomes different and you don't think it will ever go back to the way it was.   You lose a part of yourself and all the optimism you once had about life turns into pessimism.   

This leads me to this blog post.  How do you maintain optimism when there is so much in this world to be pessimistic about?  How can the glass be half full when you clearly see it to be half empty? 

What if I told you that none of that matters if you're laughing.  You can be laughing for 30 seconds or 5 minutes, and that's all that matters in the world.  And this is where you can find optimism in your life.  It's that brief moment in which the only thing that exists is you and the laughter and the joy it brings you in that moment in time. 

 Go ahead... think of a joke... think of a funny story that a friend told you... think of a scene from a tv show that made you laugh (mine would be anything from The Office)... and laugh... laugh for however long you want to,.. I'll wait...

So what happened?  What were you thinking about?  I'm sure whatever troubles you had briefly disappeared.  

This is the power of laughter.  It made life better if only for that moment.  Wouldn't that be amazing if that could be all the time?  It actually can and all you need to do is just laugh.  

Going back to my father... after he had passed away I didn't laugh.  I didn't smile.  I felt like I couldn't.  I felt like life couldn't get better and I nothing could make me feel better.  But then something happened.  I allowed myself to laugh and smile again.  And all that sadness left me for that moment and life was full and bright again.  I could see light in the darkness.  

And so I realized that no matter how dark things can get, no matter how much pessimism you can see... you can change all that with a small dose of laughter. 

Now go laugh!





No comments:

Post a Comment